Few more days and year 2013 will be stored in our memories. 2013 for Estonia!? Definitely it was full of political circuses and scandals.
Ups: Minimum wage was finally increased up to €320, thanks to Ansip now we can afford few more bottles of beer. Public transport in Tallinn became free (not completely free, some have to pay with a ballot). Another ‘Estonian’ startup TransferWise gained popularity and Estonia and Finland signed first intergovernmental e-agreement, I wonder what will be next Estonia’s e-project?! Please do something with e-conomy!
Downs: Estonia’s Eurovision song was not impressive, only few countries voted for it but at least better than Latvia and Finland. Papa Edgar kept reigning in Tallinn and God knows (only if he is good with big numbers) how much tax-payers’ money was wasted on useless projects, how many times power was abused and how many Estonians left the country to pursue a better life abroad! Despite of this, Estonians should stay optimistic about their country’s future (no other option), I believe in Estonia’s new geek generation, they are the ones who can make a change and move this small e-nation forward.
Here are 7 other real moments summing up Estonia in 2013!
1. Winny Puhh performs epic “Meiecundimees üks Korsakov läks eile Lätti”
It is sad that Eurovision audience did not see this truly mind-blowing performance. These guys at least would have made Europeans asking themselves what kind of animals Estonians are!? 🙂
2. The Vega carrier rocket deployed first Estonian satellite ESTCube-1 into orbit
Somebody said the real reason bringing ESTcube-1 into orbit was to check if Tallinn potholes were visible from the space!
3. Kristiina Ojuland accused Ansip in e-voting fraud
Seems like Papa Edgar is not the only master of manipulation!
4. Estonian fencers Novosjolov and Beljajeva won gold medals at the World Fencing Championships.
Estonian national hockey team, look at this! This is how the job should be done!
5. Robbie William performs in Tallinn
True second coming of Jesus 🙂
6. Vassiljev scores fantastic goal vs. The Netherlands
If not that sucker referee inventing penalty for Netherlands in extra time, historic victory would happen!
7. And the masterpiece of guerrilla political marketing performed by IRL and a remote-controlled drone
Circus – no more comment here!
EM with Love